CHURCH OF SAN LEONE MAGNO
Is the main church dedicated to Pope St Leo the Great, and is the oldest in the town. It dates back to 1200. An outstanding façade flanked by a bell tower, in the
ancient heart of the town. It is characterised by its Norman defence tower, which over time became a bell tower. The portal is surmounted by a niche on which the titular saint is placed, and by the rose window. Signs of probable renovations can be seen in the wall texture, confirming the antiquity of the building, which was built around a 13th-century defence tower and consecrated in 1287. As early as 1383, work began on a new church, as can be seen from the inscription above the old entrance, now walled up; a fresco depicting the Annunciation in the tower room also dates from that time. The interior has been heavily remodelled and restored. On the side walls are six large 18th-century paintings of the Neapolitan school. The right-side altar is embellished with a canvas signed by Vincenzo Fato from Castellana and dated 1771.